Monday, November 21, 2011

Marc Jacobs and a Runny Nose

I'm not sure what I was expecting, staying out in below freezing weather all night AND skipping out on sleeping, but, now I'm paying the price of fashion (and it surprisingly did not come out of my wallet). I'm sick, I'll admit it already, I'm sick sick sick. I just hope it passes quickly, because midterms do not wait for you unless you're on your deathbed, and then you've got bigger problems...like dying. 

Anyway, in light of the recent Marc Jacobs robbery (if you haven't heard about it, I'll explain in a second) I've decided to keep my topical streak going and focus on his fashion house. But first! Check out what I spotted in a store window as I was moseying down Avenue du Parc this evening, look familiar? (hint look up):


Do you know from which textile designer these lovely cows were conceived? It's one of my favorite designers from the 60s and 70s that plays with pops of colorful designs. It's a Finnish company based in Helsinki, and the designs were first made famous in the States by Jackie O during the 1960 presidential campaign. Later on, in the 1990s, it again gained popularity via the hit TV show "Sex and the City." Still don't know? 

It's Marimekko!

Alright, well, onward to one of Time Magazine's "Top 100" most influential people of 2010: Marc Jacobs. I figure we'll start in the present, and then work ourselves into all sorts of crazy directions.

It was recently reported that selected duplicates from Marc Jacob's Spring/Summer 2012 ready-to-wear collection were stolen while in transit to London. Thankfully no original pieces were stolen, and the collection is still intact. However, Jacobs is still distraught, and recently tweeted that a reward will be offered to anyone who can help hunt down the thieves: "See any chic truck drivers cruising around Europe dressed in #SS12 Collection? Get a pic & call 212-343-0222. Reward." Gotta love modern times, right? He soon followed up with "We appreciate all the concern about our stolen #SS12 Collection samples! We do still have other samples thankfully. Life goes on. (sic)" 

So what is in this collection that is so good it literally needed to be stolen?? Let's take a look...


If you're not up for watching the whole video, here are a few highlights from the collection, it's very innovative and fresh. I kind of wish I was the robber...just sayin'. 










Pretty awesome, right? Who knew cellophane could look so hot! Well, it's about time for me to try and sleep off this nasty, encroaching cold. It's okay though. Whenever I'm feeling my worst I just peak into my closet and see a pair of palm tree leggings peeking at me, and it feels like it was all worth it. 


Ciao for now xx

No comments:

Post a Comment